Pages from the Mage

Friday, July 19, 2013

Resurrection!

Yes, I am back from the dead - and this blog is still alive and kicking!....ok, maybe whimpering, and struggling...but back none-the-less.

After a long hiatus from the RPG world, I am back, and eager to jump right back in to things.

I guess I will start off with what I have been reading, and what I have been doing with it;

  • Fantasy Craft
  • Talislanta - D20, and previous editions
  • Adventurer, Conqueror, Kings
  • Myth & Magic
  • HackMaster
  • GURPS
  • Adventures Dark and Deep
  • Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers
  • Bare Bones Fantasy
  • Basic Fantasy
  • Basic Roleplaying
  • D&D Rules Cyclopedia
  • Dangers & Dweomers
  • Dark Dungeons
  • Dungeon Crawl Classics
  • Dungeonslayers
  • Elric!
  • Labyrinth Lord
  • Mazes & Minotaurs
  • Monsters & Magic
  • RuneQuest
  • Swords & Sorcery
Just to name a few......

I have to say that I really like RPGs.  Even though they all have something great to offer, I think I am still settled with Labyrinth Lord, or Basic Fantasy..but truth be told, I have found enough nuggets of gold in everything I have read, that I will take what I like, and roll it all in to one rule.


Here are some of the pieces I have decided on;

  1. Ascending armor class - cause it makes more sense to me. Not sure which one I pulled this from.
  2. Hit points (still working it out, but almost done)
  3. Magic will be spontaneous casting, and will be powered by spell points. No Vancian Magic. The Talislanta magic system, and Fantasy Craft is what I am reviewing now for inspiration. 
  4. Poison saves
  5. Weapon Mastery, and special benefits. This is from D&D Cyclopedia
 There are some other pieces floating around, but I am still banging them about. I think everything will start to come together when it is actually codified. Some things are great in theory, but stink in application.

More to come








No comments:

Post a Comment